Facetime is one of the best additions to the Apple app library that has had many users’ attention. Since its release in 2010, Apple has continued to upgrade and refine Facetime to work with more of their devices.
Understanding how to use this app will help, especially when you are separated from a loved one you want to talk to.
You will come across some canceled calls in the call log, and you might not know what they are all about. Let us get a closer look to understand this;
What Does Canceled Facetime Mean?
Cancelled appears on the call log when you call and hang up before connecting to the receiver.
This happens mostly when the receiver does not answer, so you hung up, but if it rings and you didn’t hang up then, it will show the time you spent on the line as it usually would. This has nothing to do with the receiver’s phone, which is a misconception that most people have.
How To Use Facetime
Make sure you have Facetime adequately set up on your phone to enjoy using it. The app itself is easy to use, and any beginner will be comfortable with it after a few calls. Let’s get into the use of this app for your fun;
- To start, launch the Facetime app on your device
- Tap the text box at the top of your screen and type in the email address, name, or the number of the person you want to call. The receiver must also have an Apple device for you to connect on Facetime.
- When the name appears in the search results, tap the video camera icon to make a video call or the phone to make a phone call.
- You can also call someone through their contact in your iPhone address book. To do this, go to contacts in your home screen and search for the contact you want to call.
- When the name appears, tap on it once to access their contact information. Tap on the video icon to call them on Facetime and wait for them to answer. You can use the camera icon to switch between the front and back camera during a call.
- You can see the videos and calls made on Facetime by selecting a category at the top of your screen when you aren’t on a call. You can tap on a contact in your call history to call them again.
You can also start a Facetime call from the imessages app. To do this, go to the imessages app and find a conversation with the person you want to call.
Open the conversation and tap on their contact to access more information. You will see the video call option in the contact information.
You will discover more features as you use the app, and it will take your video calling experience to the next level.
How To Set Up Facetime
During these challenging times with the Coronavirus pandemic, Facetime has become an invaluable asset to help you connect with your loved ones without risking infection. Facetime is not a new thing; in fact, it has been around for over ten years now.
Facetime is a fantastic platform for video chat on macOS and iOS devices, and it has end-to-end encryption to make sure that all your communications are private. You will only enjoy the features if you get the installation part right.
The most important aspect of setting up Facetime is your Apple ID. If you have an iPhone, it is best to set up your Apple ID on it first and tie the Apple ID to your phone number. This will give you more options later on as you get more Apple features.
- On your iPhone, go to settings and scroll down and look for Facetime.
- Once you get the app, click on it and turn it on using the button next to its icon.
- You will then need to follow the props with the setup and input your Apple ID. If your phone number is not tied to your Apple ID, you will have to log into your Apple ID and start the process.
- If you already have Facetime on your iPhone, you will have more phone numbers and email addresses to use on Facetime. You could have multiple numbers to start a Facetime call, which is an excellent addition to reaching more of your contacts.
- You can also use Facetime on your mac. To set it up, open the Facetime app, enter your Apple ID and follow the props. It is user-friendly, and you shouldn’t have any trouble logging in.
Once you tie your Apple ID to another Device, a notification will pop up on the other devices to notify you of the added device. You can customize the basic settings on the menu bar.
Go to the menu bar and select the Facetime dropdown menu. In the next window, click on preferences, and you will get a list of settings you can change. Here you will be able to choose which emails or phone numbers you want to use on Facetime.
You can also enable a feature to make calls from your iPhone and receive them on your mac. This will work well if your devices are close by or they are on a stable WI-FI connection.
How To Add Stickers And Special Effects To A Facetime Call
Now that you are done with the setup, let us look at some fun features in Facetime. There are many fun things you can do on Facetime other than talking to your friends.
You can replace your human head with a Memoji head, among other effects. To do so, you need an iPhone 10 or a newer iPhone, or an iPad with Face ID.
When you are on the Facetime call, tap on the effects button, and then select animojis. You can select whichever Memoji you want, and it will cover up your face.
You can change the emoji as much as you want to and have some fun. If you want to go back to your human head, then click on the animojis option and select the circle with an X in it.
If you don’t want to replace your head with an emoji, but you still want to improve the Facetime environment, why don’t you try a sticker, a filter, or an effect?
Most people are familiar with Snapchat and Instagram effects, and you’d be happy to know that Facetime also has them.
During your Facetime call, tap on the display and then click on the display button. It is the star on the bottom left end of your screen. You will see a list of effects, features, and stickers you can use during your call.
You can also add text and stickers you have from your phone’s iMessages to make for a more satisfying chat.
Keep in mind that a sticker is permanent in a call, and it will stay on the screen until you manually remove it.
You can take it off by clicking the little X on the sticker or by going back to the effects tab and changing the filter.
You could have a fun conversation, and you want to remember the moment. You can do this in Facetime using the live photos feature. Live photos are the photo-video hybrid that is a video for a second and a half before and after taking the picture.
To use this feature, go to Facetime under settings and turn on Facetime live photos. On a Mac, go to the Facetime preferences window and allow photos to be taken during live calls. Once it is enabled, you can take a photo in a live chat by tapping on the shutter button.
When it comes to group video calls, Facetime has you covered since it can handle up to 32 users simultaneously.
They have numerous options for you to choose from, and the transmission and video quality are impeccable.
The chat could become very chaotic depending on the users. To deal with this, Facetime constantly morphs the call windows to make them more or less prominent. You can add a person to the call using the control panel with ease.
When you see canceled on your Facetime call log, it has nothing to do with the receiver’s phone. It means that you made a call and hung up before the other person picked it, mainly because they took too long to answer.
You can use Facetime with ease, even if you are a beginner. The apps’ interface is created to be user-friendly and consistent with most video calling services.
This design gives it a universal feel that keeps all users comfortable. Facetime is more of a casual video calling service, and it should be reserved for friends and family.
For business, it is best to use other options, like Zoom or Skype. Facetime has filters, stickers, and other effects included in it to maximize fun in communication.